16.1.09

The science of dreams

Some days ago I was watching The science of sleep by Michel Gondry, a film where wakefulness and sleep are completely permeable. It's certainly worthwhile to watch it for the imagery ad the aesthetics, and in a personal level I love the idea of a multilingual film (English, Spanish and French), it is a small Babel in itself.

I've talked before about it, this translator dreams about a multilingual world, Martin Puchner says, when talking about the Communist Manifesto, that one of the successes of the avant-garde and the revolutions that produces manifestos, was to use the displacement, the question of exile, and thus, all these manifestos and movements were presented as multilingual phenomena, liberated from nationalisms.

I'm not wandering off, but let's go back to dreams. What more universal language but that of dreams?

The film includes a recurring dream of Gondry himself, a sequence in which Gael GB's hands grow to enormous dimensions.

I have a few recurring dreams, disturbing specially in that immediate moment coming out of a dream, and I believe that they are not only mine, I believe that it has already been said what subconscious ideas they represent, but I'm writing them here: the dream of falling, plummeting to the abyss and the dream, less metaphorical and more mundane of having all my teeth fall out, and the sadness in it is that in my dream I place them back again on their sockets wishing that in some miraculous way they will root themselves back.

But I would like to know what dreams you have.

Tell them to me.

1 comment:

  1. I love that movie. Michel Gondry is one of the few left who still have signature cinematography. Anything he's involved with has a huge heart.

    I dreamt last year that I helped heal a woman and that a native medicinal plant called SAN PEDRO was calling my name.I had never even seen a SAN PEDRO(it is a hallucinogenic cactus)

    I thought "wow how hippie and psychodelic"

    Turns out that I went to a native indigenous medicinal ritual in the middle of the Colombian mountains on November for the first time in my life to take the yajé medicine(it is a fermented magical drink made from the bark of a tree and a sacred bush) Natives use it to communicate with the earth's spirits and get visions to be able to heal.

    I took the medicine and when the Medicine Man began healing people I could see right through their clothes and could spot their sick internal organs. This experience is personal and not the same for two people. MY experience was that I felt my heart become a channel and begin to send some sort of energy beam to the people being healed. I felt i was channeling love and healing to the group and thus aiding the medicine man with his task.

    Next morning(this ceremony takes place at night and lying down mostly) I woke up and upon exiting the sacred hut I encountered the SAN PEDRO CACTUS surrounded by an altar.

    That was weird and beautiful. Maybe my dream was premonitory

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails