8.7.10

On the fringe


These days I feel like
I’m living on the fringe,


out of control,


not very motherly of me,
but I’m off the hook


the baby died.



He/she doesn’t need me to be a good mom
or folic acid.


My other baby is growing up,
and she mothers me from time to time
(though my therapist frowns upon it.)


I don’t sleep well
no one taught me how.


My daughter is trying to teach me:

she says you only have to close your eyes
and think of something soft.



I guess I don't have enough soft things
to think about.



I’m reckless
with my body,

it may be my temple,
but I want to deface it.


No worries,
there is nothing sacred inside.

Not anymore.



I wake up early,
I do my chores,
I teach M her letters.

I mostly worry.

But I’m drunk with the vertigo of wakefulness,
I need to be knocked out.

I read well into the night.
I write from time to time.



Tomorrow I will wake up in time,
I won’t hit snooze,
it won’t be easy or pretty

but I’ll do it.



I’m not expected to be a good human being,
to eat on schedule
and go to bed at a sensible time.


No need to scold me,
the world does not feel the need to berate me.


I do a far better job

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails